Tuesday, May 4, 2010

All good things come to an end...





It has been a day of goodbyes. This morning I went to school and said farewell to my 7th and 8th graders. I am really going to miss them, and they said they would miss me too, which made me feel like my heart was melting. I left them with a small token of my time here: a pencil or a book mark. Some of the students gave me hugs and sweet words of goodbye. I even got a gift from one of my 7th grade girls. I hung around NCA until after lunch so that I could say goodbye to all of the teachers too. It is hard to leave when there is so much love and acceptance.

I walked home for the last time and took in my environment. It is not everyday where you can walk down the road come across loads of garbage, a road-side snack shack, cat-calls and people riding in the back of trucks. This is all Nicaragua, and I will miss it in some strange way. As soon as I got home, I ate some of my last arroz con leche (rice pudding) and then hit the pool. I probably spent much more time at the pool than I should have, but I was in denial of leaving, and the bright blue of the sky, green of the palm trees, and coolness of the water were so addictive.

After my time at the pool, I started to pack some things up in my room. Emily and Katie came in a few times to help/observe/interrupt my packing and I loved it. Before I could finish with my packing, we all jumped in the car and headed over to La Finca for dinner with some of my other friends/teachers from school. I thoroughly enjoyed my last Nica meal of Jalapeno Chicken, ripe plantain, gallo pinto, and tres leche for dessert. It was fantastic; the perfect way to end four wonderful months. And so, as we went our seperate ways in the parking lot, I said goodbye to so many people that I have come to love. The community here at NCA has been so uplifting and supportive. I will truly miss it.

And so, here I sit, with tears in my eyes, trying to put my 4 months in Nicaragua into words. I told Mike that I don't cry with goodbyes...but I caved. In the solitude of my room, I let a few tears fall. I just had 8 hugs from Katie and 5 from Emily before they went to bed. Gina gave me a hug and swiftly got the girls on their way--she knows goodbyes can be hard. It has been better than I ever imagined it would be. God has taught me so much about teaching, myself, and who He is. Once again God has shown me his faithfulness and blessing in my life. He put Nicaragua on my heart years ago, and lead me back this semester. It still amazes me how God is control of the smallest things. For example, I was just walking back from Aimee's apartment a few minutes ago when I realized that I have not come across a single tarantula or scorpion since I have come here. One of my fears about Nicaragua was that the insects are so big and creepy. God has helped me overcome my fears even though some are small, like spiders, and others are big, like the responsibilities of teaching. I am so thankful to be finished with the semester and all of the hard work, but I can't take the credit for it. God was my strength through it all and he will continue to be in the future. That is the promise I cling to.
So, here I sit, with a bunch of packing yet to do and a heavy heart. Luckily, the future is bright as I consider my next adventure, especially because I know I will never be alone.

I have a renewed love for the following Bible verse because I have relied on it so much this semester: "I can do all things through HIM who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13. It is simple, but so perfectly true.

Thanks to all of you for following me on this fun and exciting adventure. I have appreciated the emails, skype dates, thoughts and prayers that you have given me. I praise God for the many blessings he has given me. I see this experience as one more beautiful memory I can lock up in my treasure chest of life. Praise God!

1 comment:

  1. We are sitting at the Omaha airport watching the planes fly over and waiting excitedly for you to come. Your musings were awesome and a wonderful blessings to read. See you in a few hours sweet daughter. Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete